There are currently nine full-time vascular surgeons whose primary objective is to provide the highest level of patient care and an educational environment for research and clinical training of vascular surgery and general surgery trainees in the field of vascular diseases:
- Luis A. Sanchez, MD, Chief of the Section of Vascular Surgery and Gregorio A. Sicard Distinguished Professor of Vascular Surgery and Radiology; Dr. Sanchez is responsible for all administrative aspects of the Vascular Surgery Section.
- Gregorio A. Sicard, MD, Executive Vice Chair of the Department of Surgery; Professor of Vascular Surgery and Radiology
- Brian G. Rubin, MD, Professor of Surgery and Radiology
- Robert W. Thompson, MD, Professor of Surgery, Radiology, Cell Biology and Physiology
- Patrick Geraghty, MD, Associate Professor of Surgery and Radiology
- Jeffrey Jim, MD, MPHS, Assistant Professor of Surgery; Program Director for Vascular Surgery Training Programs
- Nanette Reed, MD, Assistant Professor of Surgery
- Chandu Vemuri, MD, Assistant Professor of Surgery; Associate Program Director for Vascular Surgery Training Programs
- Mohamed Zayed, MD PhD, Assistant Professor of Surgery
Most of the faculty members hold joint appointments in the Department of Radiology, Section of Vascular and Interventional Radiology (VIR). These dual appointments reflect the significant overlap in diagnostic and therapeutic aspects of care for patients with vascular disease shared by vascular surgeons and interventional radiologists in our institution. The rapid growth and application of endovascular technologies to the field of vascular surgery has served to further integrate patient care between these two specialties. Several aspects of the Washington University Vascular Surgery Residency Training Program take advantage of the unique relationship between these two departments.