Assistant Professor, Division of Public Health Sciences
Department of Surgery
Dr. Toriola trained and worked as a physician and subsequently became interested in public health and cancer prevention. Afterwards, he undertook doctoral training in epidemiology and public health in Finland and a postdoctoral fellowship in cancer epidemiology/prevention at the German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ), Heidelberg, Germany.
Dr. Toriola’s research activities focus on using serum/plasma biomarkers to explore the associations between hormones (steroid hormones, secosteroids [vitamin D], pregnancy-associated hormones), inflammation and cancer risk among women, particularly breast, colorectal and ovarian cancers. To address these, he has mainly utilized the resources of the Finnish Maternity Cohort (FMC), which is a population-based biorepository of more than 1.7 million serum samples (coordinated from the National Institute for Health and Welfare in Northern Finland). He is presently leading a case-control study nested within the FMC investigating the possible role of polyomaviruses in colorectal carcinogenesis.
Dr. Toriola is also actively involved in an on-going cohort study investigating the associations between alcohol consumption, physical activity, inflammation and cancer risk among men. In addition to investigating risk factors for cancer, Dr. Toriola is interested in the impact of nutrition (such as vitamin D), physical activity and genetic factors on survival among cancer patients and how these can be tailored towards providing the most optimal care.
- Ulrich CM, Toriola AT, Koepl LM, Sandifer T, Poole LM, Duggan C, McTiernan A, Isaa JP. Metabolic, hormonal and immunological associations with DNA methylation among postmenopausal women. Epigenetics (in press).
- Toriola AT, Vaarasmaki M, Lehtinen M, Zeleniuch-Jacquotte A, Lundin E, Rodgers K-G, Lakso HN, Chen T, Schock H, Hallmans G, Pukkala E, Toniolo P, Grankvist K, Surcel HM, Lukanova A. Determinants of maternal sex steroids during the first half of pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 2011;118(5):1029-1036.
- Leino J, Kauhanen L, Hokkinen L, Kurl S, Toriola AT, Voutilainen S, Lynch JW, Kauhanen J. Psychosocial problems in childhood and later alcohol consumption: a life course approach with historical information. Scand J Public Health Sept 2011:39(7):749-756.
- Toriola AT, Ulrich CM. Is there a potential use for C-reactive protein as a diagnostic and prognostic marker for colorectal cancer? Future Oncology 2011; 7(10):1125-8.
- Toriola AT, Surcel H-M, Lundin E, Schock H, Grankvist K, Pukkala E, Chen T, Toniolo P, Lehtinen M, Zeleniuch-Jacquotte A, Lukanova A. Insulin-like growth factor-I and C-reactive protein during pregnancy and maternal risk of non-epithelial ovarian cancer: a nested case-control study. Cancer Causes Control 2011;22:1607-1611.
- Lehtinen M, Simen-Kapeu A, Toriola AT, Dillner J. Tonsillar cancers caused by human papillomavirus types 16/18: a new indication for HPV-16/18 vaccination? HPV Today 2011;22:6-7.
- Toriola AT, Lundin E, Lehtinen M, Grankvist K, Pukkala E, Chen T, Zeleniuch-Jacquotte A, Toniolo P, Lehtinen M, Surcel HM, Lukanova A. Circulating insulin-like growth factor-I in pregnancy and maternal risk of breast cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomark Prev 2011;20(8):1798-1801.
- Toriola AT, Grankvist K, Agborsangaya C, Lukanova A, Lehtinen M, Surcel HM. Changes in C-reactive protein concentrations and the risk of ovarian cancer: a longitudinal study. Ann Oncol 2011;22(8):1916-1921.
- Toriola AT, Surcel H-M, Anika Husing, Grankvist K, Lakso HA, Schock H, Lundin E, Lehtinen M, Lukanova A. Association of serum 25-OHD concentrations with maternal sex-steroids and IGF-I hormones during pregnancy. Cancer Causes Control 2011;22(6):925-928.
- Kurl S, Laukkanen JA, Rauramaa R, Toriola AT, Makikallio TH. Intensity of leisure time physical activity and cancer mortality in men. Br J Sports Med 2011;45(2):125-129.
- Agborsangaya C, Lehtinen T, Toriola AT, Pukkala E, Surcel HM, Tedeschi R, Lehtinen M. Association between Epstein-Barr virus and risk of pregnancy-associated breast cancer: is there a joint association with vitamin D? Eur J Cancer 2011;47(1):116-120.
- Toriola AT, Surcel H-M, Agborsangaya C, Grankvist K, Luostarinen T, Lukanova A, Pukkala E, Lehtinen M. Independent and joint effects of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and calcium on ovarian cancer risk: a prospective nested case-control study. Eur J Cancer 2010;46;2799-2805.
- Toriola AT, Kurl S, Dyba T, Laukkanen J, Kauhanen J. The impact of alcohol consumption on risk of cancer among men: a 20-year follow up from Finland. Eur J Cancer 2010;46:1488-1492.
- Agborsangaya C, Surcel H-M, Toriola AT, Pukkala E, Parkkila S, Tuohimaa P, Lukanova A, Lehtinen M. Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D at pregnancy and the risk of breast cancer in a prospective study. Eur J Cancer 2010;46:467-470.
- Toriola AT, Surcel H-M, Agborsangaya C, Grankvist K, Tuohimaa P, Toniolo P, Lukanova A, Pukkala E, Lehtinen M. Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D and the risk of ovarian cancer. Eur J Cancer 2010;46:364-369.
- Laukkanen JA, Pukkala E, Rauramaa R, Mäkikallio TH, Toriola AT, Kurl S. Cardiorespiratory fitness, lifestyle factors and cancer risk and mortality in Finnish men. Eur J Cancer 2010;46:355-363.
- Agborsangaya C, Toriola AT, Grankvist K, Surcel H-M, Holl K, Tuohimaa P, Lukanova A, Lehtinen M. The effects of storage time and sampling season on the stability of serum 25-hydroxy vitamin D and androstenedione. Nutr Cancer 2010;62(1):51-57.
- Toriola AT, Kurl S, Laukkanen JA, Kauhanen J. Does binge drinking increase the risk of lung cancer? Results from the Findrink study. Eur J Pub Health 2009;19(4):389-393.
- Toriola AT, Kurl S, Laukkanen JA, Mazengo C, Kauhanen J. Alcohol consumption and the risk of colorectal cancer: the Findrink study. Eur J Epidemiol 2008;23(6):395-401.