1. What is your application deadline?
The application deadline at our institution is November 1, 2013, for the 2014 general surgery match.
2. What are your criteria for submitting an application?
- All ERAS materials
- Medical school transcript
- Dean's letter
- USMLE Part One score (Step II required before residency program starts)
- Personal statement
- Three letters of recommendation (see question #7 below)
3. How many categorical and preliminary spots do you offer?
The General Surgery Residency Training Program at Washington University is approved by the ACGME to match eight categorical residents each year. We offer several preliminary positions.
4. What is your accreditation status?
Our program has continued full accreditation status.
5. What are your minimum USMLE scores?
We do not have minimum USMLE score requirements. However, passage on the first attempt is required.
6. Do you require prior U.S. clinical experience?
We do not require prior U.S. clinical experience. However, we do not review applications of candidates who have been out of medical school more than 5 years.
International medical graduates should be aware that we DO require letters of recommendation from three U.S. board-certified surgeons; thus, most applicants have had some U.S. clinical experience.
7. What are your requirements for letters of recommendation?
The applicant must submit three letters of recommendation from American Board of Surgery-certified surgeons. These individuals do not need to be general surgeons (i.e., they can be in any surgical discipline).
8. What are your interview dates?
Friday, November 22, and Saturday, November 23, 2013
Friday, December 6, and Saturday, December 7, 2013
Friday, January 10, and Saturday, January 11, 2014.
9. Do you accept applications from international medical graduates?
All applications are considered on an individual basis.
10. What visa do you sponsor?
We sponsor only the J1 visa.