Washington University acute and critical care surgeons are full-time faculty who specialize in and offer the following services at Barnes-Jewish Hospital and its clinics:
- Level I trauma center providing initial and follow-up care for injured patients; 24-hour, on-call service, 1-800-252-3627. Ask for the attending acute and critical care surgeon on call.
- Outpatient Surgical and Wound Care Clinic providing multidisciplinary services, including follow-up appointments for all trauma patients, burn patients, the section's general surgery patients, patients with non-healing wounds and ostomies, and those in need of hyperbaric oxygen treatments to optimize outcomes. To refer a patient for an outpatient consultation, call (314) 362-5298.
- Referral care of patients with all general surgical conditions, both urgent and elective, who are thought to need inpatient call. Call 1-800-252-3627 and ask for the attending acute and critical care surgeon on call.
- Surgical critical care provided in a state-of-the-art Surgical Intensive Care Unit; on-site physician coverage supervised by intensivists with added/special qualifications in critical care; areas of excellence include multiple organ failure, pancreatitis, sepsis and adult respiratory distress syndrome, burns, abdominal emergencies, abdominal wall reconstruction, chest wall stabilization, enterocutaneous fistulas, and necrotizing fasciitis or skin and soft tissue infections – 24-hour, on-call service, 1-800-252-3627. Ask for the surgical ICU attending.
- Inpatient burn unit for comprehensive, multidisciplinary care of severely burned patients – 24-hour, on-call service, 1-800-252-3627. Ask for the attending acute and critical care surgeon on call.
- Outpatient burn clinic hours in our Surgical and Wound Care Clinic for follow-up and treatment of all burn patients. For referral, call (314) 362-5298.
- Inpatient and outpatient wound care referrals for complex wounds including ostomies, lower extremity wounds, abdominal wall reconstruction and hernias, infected wounds and osteomyelitis, diabetic foot wounds, enterocutaneous fistulas, necrotizing fasciitis, and postoperative care of difficult wounds.
- Outpatient, elective referrals for non-urgent hyperbaric oxygen treatments and evaluations; please call (314) 362-2233.
- Inpatient and outpatient referrals for various types abdominal wall reconstructions. For referral, call (314) 362-5298.